Monday, August 01, 2005

What memories!

I received an email from an old friend. I haven't spoken to her in maybe 15 years.

We went to elementary school together, and were in high school together for a year. At the time, PJ and I were pretty good friends. I was always good friends with the good looking girls I knew. It's my curse.

Well, hearing from her got me remembering my elementary school years, which I remember quite vividly, surprisingly enough.

I remember one event that will always stand out, and PJ was there to witness it.

I was maybe 12 or 13 at the time, it was winter, and it was cold. Really, really fucking cold. I was waiting at the bus stop with my friends, and I was all decked out in "mom dressed me" winter wear, thick jacket, cap, gloves, and scarf. That damned scarf.

Well, I had been kinda flirting/annoying this girl, who was supposedly the school slut. Never had any proof that she was, but when you're 13 you listen to the rumours, you don't wonder if they're true or not. This girl, Lisa, was a year older than me, and knew very well that I was hot for her (at that age, all guys are hot for any girl, but we don't have a fucking clue what to do, so all we can imagine are furtive touches and maybe a glimpse of a tit or something).

So knowing this, she teased me alot. And when you're in elementary school, the teasing consists of a lot of play violence. That dreaded morning, she came up behind me and grabbed my scarf, and pulled it tight around my neck.

I freaked. I really don't remember what I thought had happened, but the next thing I knew I was twirling around with my hand wide open, and I hit her cheek.

Thankfully her cheek was fine, but her nose exploded. Literally.

I don't know what the fuck happened, but it was blood everywhere. I seriously wigged out. And obviously Lisa was screaming.

She ran home, to get her mom and step-dad, and I got on the bus and went to school, all the while mumbling to myself, "Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit".

When I got off the bus that afternoon, PJ was with me. We were talking and walking back to our respective houses. When we were passing Lisa's house, her step-dad came out.

Oh boy, was he pissed. I started apologizing immediately, trying to make up for what I had done. He would have none of it, so he started yelling at me right there in the street. It's a little daunting for a 13 year old to have an adult call him a "pathetic little mother fucker asshole who will never do anything worthwile in his life".

I just stared at him. I really didn't care what he was saying, so I stared at him. All I cared was that I had hurt Lisa, and I didn't like the idea of hurting anyone.

When he finished yelling he said something to the effect of "Do you get me you little cheap ass cock sucker?"

I looked at him and said (and this may have been the most insane thing I've ever done) "Stay away from me you shit licking asshole. I know what you do to Lisa, and if you ever come near me again, I'll go to the cops."

I turned around and went home.

The next day at school, PJ had told a few people, since she watched the whole scene. And since rumours travel faster than the Concorde used to, by the end of the week, not only had I stood up to a supposed pedophile, I had also beat the shit out of him, and laughed while doing it.

I could never get anyone to believe the true story, but all of a sudden I had a rep at school. Stopped getting bullied, stopped being picked on in general.

And PJ? Well, she became famous just for being my friend.

So to you PJ, thanks for being my friend back then. And thanks for making me badder than Rambo!

No comments: