Friday, August 12, 2005

Hidden meanings??

I was reminded of the Mel Gibson movie What Women Want today.

If we all had the power to read women's minds, would we really know what they want? I've had so many situations in the past few months (normally with one woman) where what she says, what she thinks and what she actually means or wants are all different things!

It's extremely confuzzling.

I've been kidding the last couple of hours with a friend about this, calling it evasive subtext. I know, I know, not the most inventive of phrases, but I make do.

This evasive subtext pervades a lot of our conversations (at least I think it does, and there lie all my doubts), but how are men actually supposed to understand women's true desires when they're always so difficult to actually know. And I don't necessarily mean sexual desires, but those are included. I speak of emotions, hopes, dreams, little hopes too.

How can a man truly know if a song a woman sends him is meant to convey some deeper meaning, or it's just a cool song she heard? How can a man know if a certain giggle at a certain time, means that she truly considers him more than a friend, or she's amused at the idea?

How can a man truly know if a woman truly desires a man, if at the time he straight out asks her she evades the question and then sends him romantic songs, says confuzzling things to him and leaves him with more doubts?

To all you men out there, I say this: I don't know the answer. I truly thought that by asking directly, being straightforward and honest, one could get straight answers, apparently this is not so.

I invite all women out there to comment, give opinions and hopefully tell us, what do we have to do to get a straight answer out of you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LMFAO!!!! hehehehehhe

Sara said...

hi, great post. I would have to say, ask. We have just as much time figuring out the men in the world, and I know asking direct questions can be difficult, but if a woman (or man, for that matter) can't give an answer, then they likely aren't worth the effort of a relationship.

happy friday.

Lisa said...

I think that is a generic question. Like Hester, I am extremely direct. (Some would say too direct). But just like all men cannot be lumped into one grouping... neither can we.
Unfortunately, there is no easy answer. Each person is different and it is up to the interested party to decide how much effort and time they want to invest in finding the key.
I prefer the direct approach, you tell me how you feel, I will tell you how I feel. If I am curious about something, I ask and conversely I expect the person I am with to ask me if they have questions.

Never assume. Always clarify. One person's actions in a similar situation can have a completely different catalyst than someone elses.

there. I have cleared absolutely nothing up for you!

Finding out is half the fun!!!