Thursday, February 23, 2006

Everything costs money...

How could we ever survive without some form of currency these days?

This question pops into my head constantly these days since I ran out of cash. I got paid last about a week and a half ago the days that I worked in January, which weren't many. But the money is already gone.

I spent most of it last Saturday with Frankie (and didn't mind doing that one bit). I also spent quite a bit on my Saturday night date with Betty, which did leave me thinking as to why.

But since Monday I've been out of cash, and trying to survive without it. It's not an extremely difficult task for me, since food and board are provided to me by my grandmother. But transport is troublesome without money.

Luckily my grandparent's place is only about 20 blocks from my workplace, so I walk to and fro.

But still, if I wanted to buy a Coke, for example, it would be out of my league. Or even a bag of chips for that matter.

So I started thinking, how would we ever survive in this world without some form of currency, hard cash. Would we slip back to the days of bartering? Would we fall into anarchistic tendencies, taking whatever we needed from wherever we found it? This may seem a little extreme, but it makes you wonder.

Consider this...The basic necessities of life are Food, a roof over our heads and clothes. Someone to share this with is obviously desired, but not an absolute necessity. But to get all of these basic necessities in today's society, requires money. So does that make money a more important necessity than food?

We need money to survive. We need money to thrive. We need money, period.

Every one of us works with the supposition that we do so so that we will be able to provide ourselves or our families with those basic necessities, but in reality, we're working to achieve the economic possibility of providing those basic necessities. Money comes first.

I have a friend here at work who currently has no family. He's living in a low budget boarding house, where he lives with 4 other guys in one single room. If, God forbid, he didn't have money to pay for his food and boarding, he wouldn't have the support that I do. He doesn't have a grandmother who will have a hot plate of food waiting for him everytime he gets home. If he doesn't have the money to pay for his boarding, he won't have a place to sleep. This makes the necessity of money all the more important for him.

So, how could we survive? Many people obviously do. But it would be through tremendous hardship.

I don't know if I'm strong enough to survive that way. And that's a scary thought.

No comments: